Wednesday, June 29, 2005

on the view from here






As I write this, I'm on the ferry heading for Seattle. It is just after 5:30pm and the light is fantastic at the end of a glorious day. I'm looking off to the South at Pritchard Park, and I can see Perri Lynch's Floating Datum piece. The low sun is catching the sea of windsocks and glinting off the poles. I think I see the low rumble of Amanda Sturgeon's rock wall leaning up against the corner of the EPA chainlink, and then we round the corner toward Rockaway Beach. Diana Liljelund's red madrona is backlit and shifts from red to black silhouette to almost invisible. Gregory Glynn's Foundation is only visible at this angle by what isn't there; the air in the woods that is light and open up on the hill. I'm struck by how his piece is mirrored in the brazen new construction to the south of the park, a future home shaving the side of the steep bank and buttressed with tons of concrete.

The photos here show glimpses of all work mentioned above except for Amanda's; over the next weeks, look for images and words about all of the work in the show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home